Friday, May 28, 2010

Major General Jim Williams for D Magazine



My Dad is a retired military officer, so I naturally have a lot of respect for the men and women (and their families) who serve in the Armed Forces. Meeting General Williams - and later reading his interview that ran with the portrait I shot - I definitely feel honored to have met the man. As a tall-ish person myself, I was immediately struck by how tiny I felt occupying space with him. On top of his physical presence, there's his service record to consider: Major General Jim Williams is one of only 70 Major Generals in the world. He is a Two-star General, which is the third-highest commissioned rank in the U.S. Military. He worked at the White House under Reagan as a Marine military social aide, and went on to command the 4th Marine Division, one of the largest military units on the planet. Then he resigned his commission because he fell in love with his now wife, Maria. She was a teacher here in Dallas and didn't want to leave her job. So he did. How amazing is that?

Here's the shot that D Magazine ran, for their monthly "People of Interest" column:




Thank you, General. It was a pleasure to work with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment