Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Edit


I'm in the middle of editing my website again, a part of the job that never ends. It's always a slightly maddening task, but a necessary one nonetheless. It's good practice figuring out which of your shots are getting the axe and which ones can now join the team.


One of the things I appreciate most about editing is going back through shoots and finding something surprising. Neither of the shots above were selected by the magazines they were shot for, and neither one initially made it onto my website. But there's something I like about them now - the direct eye contact in the first, the stolen moment in the second - two things (amongst others) I'm trying to get more often when I shoot now.

It's one of the many things that makes working in a creative field rewarding: Whether it's a photograph, a book, a song or a film - even if you've seen or read or heard it before - there are always new layers to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment