Friday, July 17, 2009

Los Angeles, or: how I missed Dark Night of the Soul


I have no illusions about being the first to blog about Dark Night Of The Soul, the collaboration between filmmaker/visual artist David Lynch and musicians Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse, however....

In case you haven't heard, 'Dark Night' is a gallery show predicated upon exploring the ways in which music and visual art converge: sometimes in compliment to each other, other times exposing tension between the two. It's also a round-table experiment in artists influencing one another. The Press release puts it thusly: "The artists worked together and were inspired by each other— Lynch making photographs influenced by the original songs that Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse were creating. "

The Michael Kohn Gallery in LA is (as far as I can tell) the only gallery that will host the installation. Lynch's photographs are displayed on the walls as the music Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse wrote play over the gallery's speakers. I walked past the gallery my first night in LA.

So what's the problem? Well, much my chagrin, the exhibition ended on July 11, four days prior to my arrival. According to the website, the limited edition book and CD are sold out.

Just my luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment